West Virginia voter registration guide
West Virginia voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 21 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Received by 21 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 21 days before Election Day
Check your West Virginia voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your West Virginia registration using the West Virginia voter registration lookup site.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
West Virginia voter registration rules
To register in West Virginia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- live in West Virginia and in the county in which you are registering
- be 18 years old by Election Day. If you are 17, you may vote in a primary if you will turn 18 by the General Election
- if you have been convicted of a felony, election bribery, or treason, you must have completed your sentence, including probation and parole
- not be under conviction, probation, or parole for a felony, treason, or election bribery
- not have been judged mentally incompetent by a court of competent jurisdiction
How to register to vote online in West Virginia
You can register to vote online if you have a West Virginia driver license, driver permit, or nondriver photo ID card.
- Visit the West Virginia online voter registration site.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 21 days before Election Day.
How to register to vote by-mail in West Virginia
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your WV driver’s license number. If you do not have a driver’s license number, enter the last four numbers of your social security number. If you do not have either of these numbers, write NONE on the form.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You should register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention. It is up to the party to decide if it will let independents vote in their primaries.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received by 21 days before Election Day.
How to register to vote in-person in West Virginia
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your West Virginia driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and West Virginia address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Same day voter registration in West Virginia
Registering to vote in West Virginia with a felony conviction
Voting rights are restored upon completion of prison, parole, and probation.
- You cannot vote while incarcerated.
- You cannot vote while on parole.
- You cannot vote while on probation.
- You can vote upon completion of your sentence.
- Financial obligations:
- parole fees
- probation fees
- Please visit Restore Your Vote for additional information.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for West Virginia elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Secretary of State Building 1, Suite 157‐K 1900 Kanawha Blvd. East Charleston, WV 25305‐0770