Mississippi voter registration guide
Mississippi voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): N/A
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked by 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 30 days before Election Day
Check your Mississippi voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Mississippi registration using the Mississippi voter registration lookup site.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Mississippi voter registration rules
To register in Mississippi you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- have lived in Mississippi and in your county (and city, if applicable) for at least 30 days before Election Day
- be 18 years old by Election day (if you are 17, you may vote in a primary if you will turn 18 by the General Election)
- have not been convicted of voter fraud, murder, rape, bribery, theft, arson, obtaining money or goods under false pretense, perjury, forgery, embezzlement, armed robbery, extortion, felony bad check, felony shoplifting, larceny, receiving stolen property, robbery, timber larceny, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, statutory rape, carjacking, or larceny under lease or rental agreement, or have had your rights restored as required by law
- not have been declared mentally incompetent by a court.
How to register to vote online in Mississippi
Mississippi does not have online voter registration.
How to register to vote by-mail in Mississippi
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Mississippi driver's license number. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, write "NONE" here.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Mississippi does not have party registration. You do not need to register with a politcal party to vote in a primary election.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked by 30 days before Election Day.
How to register to vote in-person in Mississippi
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Mississippi driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Mississippi address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Same day voter registration in Mississippi
Registering to vote in Mississippi with a felony conviction
Missisippi doesn't automatically restore voting rights to anyone with a felony conviction. It is very, very difficult to have your rights restored in Mississippi. Options include a pardon directly from the Governor, or a pardon from the state legislature (which requires them to draft and then pass a bill in favor of your pardon). However if you have specific felony convictions you are permantly banned from voting.
- You cannot vote while incarcerated.
- You cannot vote while on parole.
- You cannot vote while on probation.
- You cannot vote upon completion of your sentence.
- Financial obligations:
- parole fees
- probation fees
- court fees
- Please visit Restore Your Vote for additional information.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Mississippi elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Secretary of State P.O. Box 136 Jackson, MS 39205‐0136