Alaska voter registration guide
Alaska voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked by 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 30 days before Election Day
Check your Alaska voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Alaska registration using the Alaska voter registration lookup site.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Alaska voter registration rules
To register in Alaska you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be 18 years old within 90 days of completing your registration
- be a resident of Alaska for at least 30 days just before the election.
How to register to vote online in Alaska
You can register to vote online if you have an Alaska driver license, driver permit, or nondriver ID card.
- Visit the Alaska online voter registration site.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 30 days before Election Day.
How to register to vote by-mail in Alaska
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Alaska driver’s license or Alaska State Identification card number. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have any of these numbers, write “NONE” in the box.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Alaska has a closed primary system. If you do not register for a political party, you will not be able to vote in that party's primary.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked by 30 days before Election Day.
How to register to vote in-person in Alaska
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
Bring your Alaska driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring one photo ID issued by any state or federal government, and bring one document that shows your name and current address. Acceptable documents include a recent utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Same day voter registration in Alaska
Registering to vote in Alaska with a felony conviction
Voting rights are restored upon completion of prison, parole, and probation.
- You cannot vote while incarcerated.
- You cannot vote while on parole.
- You cannot vote while on probation.
- You can vote upon completion of your sentence.
- Financial obligations:
- parole fees
- probation fees
- Please visit Restore Your Vote for additional information.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Alaska elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Division of Elections State of Alaska PO Box 110017 Juneau, AK 99811‐0017