Tennessee voter registration guide
Tennessee voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked by 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 30 days before Election Day
Check your Tennessee voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Tennessee registration using the Tennessee voter registration lookup site.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Tennessee voter registration rules
To register in Tennessee you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Tennessee
- be 18 years old by Election Day
- not be adjudicated incompetent by a court of competent jurisdiction (or have been restored to legal capacity)
How to register to vote online in Tennessee
You can register to vote online if you have Tennessee driver's license, driver's permit, or state-issued photo ID card.
- Visit the Tennessee online voter registration site.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 30 days before Election Day.
How to register to vote by-mail in Tennessee
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Your full social security number is required in order to register to vote in Tennessee.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not need to register with a party to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Optional.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked by 30 days before Election Day.
How to register to vote in-person in Tennessee
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Tennessee driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Tennessee address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Same day voter registration in Tennessee
Registering to vote in Tennessee with a felony conviction
Tennessee citizens will be permanently disenfranchised if convicted of any of the following offenses: voter fraud, treason, murder, rape, felony bribery, felony official misconduct, felony interference with government operations, or felony sexual offenses.
As of July 2023, people will felony convictions will only have their rights restored if they receive a pardon from the TN Governor, and pay all fines and fees (including court fees and restitution), and any outstanding child support payments.
- You cannot vote while incarcerated.
- You cannot vote while on parole.
- You cannot vote while on probation.
- You cannot vote upon completion of your sentence.
- Financial obligations:
- parole fees
- probation fees
- court fees
- Please visit Restore Your Vote for additional information.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Tennessee elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Coordinator of Elections Tennessee Tower, Seventh Floor 312 Rosa L. Parks Ave. Nashville, TN 37243‐1102