Virginia voter registration guide
Virginia voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 21 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 21 days before election
- Register to vote (in person): 21 days before Election Day
Check your Virginia voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Virginia registration using the Virginia voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Virginia voter registration rules
To register in Virginia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Virginia and of the precinct in which you want to vote
- be 17 years old to register and 18 years old by the next General Election. If you are 17, you may vote in a primary if you will turn 18 by the General Election
- if convicted of a felony, have had your civil rights restored. Most people have their civil rights restored when they complete probation and parole. You may find your civil rights status here: https://solutions.virginia.gov/RestorationOfRights/Search and
- not currently be declared incapacitated by a court.
Virginia online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have a Virginia driver's license, driver's permit, or state-issued photo ID card.
- Visit the Virginia online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 21 days before Election Day.
Virginia by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Virginia requires you to provide your full social security number when you register to vote. Your social security number will appear on reports produced only for official use by voter registration and election officials and, for jury selection purposes, by courts.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not need to register with a party to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 21 days before election
Virginia in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Virginia driver's license number or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring one photo ID issued by any state or the federal government, and bring one document that shows your name and current address. Acceptable documents include a recent utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Virginia same day registration
Virginia does not have same day registration.
Registering to vote in Virginia with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Virginia elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Virginia State Board of Elections 1100 Bank Street, 1st floor Richmond, VA 23219
- Virginia online voter registration
- Virginia online absentee ballot request
- Virginia voter status lookup
- Virginia absentee ballot tracker
- Virginia polling place locator