Tennessee voter registration guide
Tennessee voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 30 days before Election Day
Check your Tennessee voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Tennessee registration using the Tennessee voter registration lookup site.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Tennessee voter registration rules
To register in Tennessee you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Tennessee
- be 18 years old by Election Day
- not be adjudicated incompetent by a court of competent jurisdiction (or have been restored to legal capacity)
Tennessee online voter registration
You can register to vote online if you have Tennessee driver's license, driver's permit, or state-issued photo ID card.
- Visit the Tennessee online voter registration site.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 30 days before Election Day .
Tennessee by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Your full social security number is required in order to register to vote in Tennessee.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not need to register with a party to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Optional.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 30 days before Election Day .
Tennessee in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Tennessee driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Tennessee address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Tennessee same day registration
Tennessee does not have same day registration.
Registering to vote in Tennessee with a felony conviction
Voting rights restoration can depend on the date or type of conviction, repayment of fines, the outcome of an individual petition to the government, or gubernatorial pardon.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Tennessee elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Coordinator of Elections Tennessee Tower, Seventh Floor 312 Rosa L. Parks Ave. Nashville, TN 37243‐1102
- Tennessee online voter registration
- Tennessee voter status lookup
- Tennessee absentee ballot tracker
- Tennessee polling place locator