South Dakota voter registration guide
South Dakota voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): N/A
- Register to vote (by mail): Received 15 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 15 days before Election Day
Check your South Dakota voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your South Dakota registration using the South Dakota voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
South Dakota voter registration rules
To register in South Dakota you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- reside in South Dakota
- be 18 years old by Election Day
- not be currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system
- not have been adjudged mentally incompetent by a court
South Dakota online voter registration
South Dakota does not have online voter registration.
South Dakota by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Your SD driver’s license number is requested. If you do not have a valid driver’s license, you must provide the last four digits of your social security number.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 15 days before Election Day
South Dakota in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
South Dakota same day registration
South Dakota does not have same day registration.
Registering to vote in South Dakota with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for South Dakota elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Secretary of State, Elections Division 500 E. Capitol Pierre, SD 57501‐5070
- South Dakota voter status lookup
- South Dakota absentee ballot tracker
- South Dakota polling place locator