South Carolina voter registration guide
South Carolina voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 30 days before Election Day
Check your South Carolina voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your South Carolina registration using the South Carolina voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
South Carolina voter registration rules
To register in South Carolina you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be 18 years old by Election Day
- be a resident of South Carolina, and live in the county and precinct where you are registering
- not be confined in any public prison resulting from a conviction of a crime
- never have been convicted of a felony or offense against Election Day laws, or if previously convicted, have served your entire sentence, including probation or parole, or have received a pardon for the conviction
- not be under a court order declaring you mentally incompetent
South Carolina online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have a South Carolina driver license, driver permit, or photo ID card issued by the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Visit the South Carolina online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 30 days before Election Day.
South Carolina by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: South Carolina requires you to provide your full social security number. This is for internal purposes only. Your social security number will not appear on any public record and will not be released to any unauthorized individual.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not have to register with a party to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: This information is required, but your voter registration form will not be rejected if you leave this blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 30 days before Election Day
South Carolina in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
South Carolina same day registration
South Carolina does not have same day registration.
Registering to vote in South Carolina with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for South Carolina elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
State Election Commission P.O. Box 5987 Columbia, SC 29250‐5987
- South Carolina online voter registration
- South Carolina online absentee ballot request
- South Carolina voter status lookup
- South Carolina absentee ballot tracker
- South Carolina provisional ballot tracker
- South Carolina polling place locator