Rhode Island voter registration guide
Rhode Island voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Received 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 30 days before Election Day
Check your Rhode Island voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Rhode Island registration using the Rhode Island voter registration lookup site.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Rhode Island voter registration rules
To register in Rhode Island you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Rhode Island for the 30 days before Election Day
- be 16 years old to register and 18 years old to vote
- not be currently incarcerated in a correctional facility due to a felony conviction
- not have been lawfully judged to be mentally incompetent.
Rhode Island online voter registration
You can register to vote online if you have a Rhode Island driver license, driver permit, or nondriver photo ID card.
- Visit the Rhode Island online voter registration site.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 30 days before Election Day .
Rhode Island by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Rhode Island driver's license. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, please write "NONE" in the box.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a politcal party if you wish to vote in that party's primary. You do not need to choose a party now, however: you can register with the party on Election Day at your polling place.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 30 days before Election Day .
Rhode Island in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Rhode Island driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Rhode Island address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Rhode Island same day registration
Rhode Island does not have same day registration.
Registering to vote in Rhode Island with a felony conviction
Voting rights are restored automatically upon release from prison. You can register to vote. Rhode Island restoration information
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Rhode Island elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Rhode Island State Board of Elections 50 Branch Ave. Providence, RI 02904‐2790
- Rhode Island online voter registration
- Rhode Island voter status lookup
- Rhode Island absentee ballot tracker
- Rhode Island provisional ballot tracker
- Rhode Island polling place locator