Pennsylvania voter registration guide
Pennsylvania voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 15 days prior to an election
- Register to vote (by mail): Received 15 days prior to an election
- Register to vote (in person): 15 days prior to an election
Check your Pennsylvania voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Pennsylvania registration using the Pennsylvania voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Pennsylvania voter registration rules
To register in Pennsylvania you must:
- be a citizen of the United States at 30 days before Election Day
- be a resident of Pennsylvania and your election district at least 30 days before Election Day
- be 18 years old by Election Day
- not be incarcerated after conviction for a felony (your voting rights are restored immediately after incarceration).
Pennsylvania online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have a Pennsylvania driver license, driver permit, or nondriver photo ID card. You can also register to vote using your Social Security Number, if you also upload a photo of your signature.
- Visit the Pennsylvania online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 15 days prior to an election.
Pennsylvania by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your PA driver’s license number. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, write "NONE" in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: This information is requested but not required.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 15 days prior to an election
Pennsylvania in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
Pennsylvania same day registration
Pennsylvania does not have same day registration.
Registering to vote in Pennsylvania with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Pennsylvania elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth 210 North Office Bldg. Harrisburg, PA 17120‐0029
- Pennsylvania online voter registration
- Pennsylvania online absentee ballot request
- Pennsylvania voter status lookup
- Pennsylvania absentee ballot tracker
- Pennsylvania provisional ballot tracker
- Pennsylvania polling place locator