North Carolina voter registration guide
North Carolina voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 25 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 25 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 3 days before Election Day
Check your North Carolina voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your North Carolina registration using the North Carolina voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
North Carolina voter registration rules
To register in North Carolina you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of North Carolina and the precinct in which you live for at least 30 days prior to Election Day
- be 18 years old by the General Election (you may pre-register if you are 16 years old and if you are 17, you may vote in a primary if you will turn 18 by the General Election)
- if you have been convicted of a felony, you must have completed parole and probation
- not be registered or vote in any other county or state.
North Carolina online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have a North Carolina driver's license, driver's permit, or state-issued photo ID card.
- Visit the North Carolina online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 25 days before Election Day.
North Carolina by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter North Carolina driver’s license number. If you don't have a driver’s license, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, write "NONE" in the box.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party to vote in that party’s primary unless that party allows unaffiliated voters to vote in its primary. If you indicate a political party that is not a qualified party, or indicate no party, you will be listed as “Unaffiliated”.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: You are required to fill in this box. However, your application will not be rejected if you fail to do so.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 25 days before Election Day
North Carolina in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your North Carolina driver's license or state ID. If you don't have one, bring an acceptable document with your name and current address. Acceptable documents include a student ID, recent utility bill, bank statement, or paycheck.
North Carolina same day registration
- Summary: North Carolina has same day registration. You can register and vote during the early voting period.
Registering to vote in North Carolina with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for North Carolina elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
State Board of Elections P.O. Box 27255 Raleigh, NC 27611‐7255
- North Carolina online voter registration
- North Carolina online absentee ballot request
- North Carolina voter status lookup
- North Carolina absentee ballot tracker
- North Carolina provisional ballot tracker
- North Carolina polling place locator