New York voter registration guide
New York voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 25 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 25 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 25 days before Election Day
Check your New York voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your New York registration using the New York voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
New York voter registration rules
To register in New York you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of New York and the county, city, or village for at least 30 days before Election Day
- be 18 years old by December 31 of the year you register and 18 years old by Election Day to vote (you may pre-register if you are 16)
- if you have been convicted of a felony, you must have completed prison and parole (if still on parole, your voting rights may have been restored by the governor- check your rights restoration status here: https://publicapps.doccs.ny.gov/ParoleeLookup/default)
- not currently be judged incompetent by a court
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
New York online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have a New York driver license, driver permit, or nondriver photo ID card.
- Visit the New York online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 25 days before Election Day.
New York by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your NY driver’s license number. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you have neither, write “NONE” in this box.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to vote in that party’s primary election or caucus.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 25 days before Election Day
New York in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
New York same day registration
New York does not have same day registration.
Registering to vote in New York with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for New York elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
NYS Board of Elections 40 North Pearl Street, Suite 5 Albany, NY 12207‐2729
- New York online voter registration
- New York online absentee ballot request
- New York voter status lookup
- New York polling place locator