New Mexico voter registration guide
New Mexico voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 28 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 28 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 3 days before Election Day
Check your New Mexico voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your New Mexico registration using the New Mexico voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
New Mexico voter registration rules
To register in New Mexico you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of the State of New Mexico
- be 18 years old by Election Day
- not have been denied the right to vote by a court of law by reason of mental incapacity
- if you have been convicted of a felony, you must have completed your sentence, including probation and parole.
New Mexico online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have a New Mexico driver license, driver permit, or nondriver photo ID card.
- Visit the New Mexico online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 28 days before Election Day.
New Mexico by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: New Mexico requires you to provide your full social security number. Your social security number and date of birth will remain confidential and will not be disclosed to the public.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 28 days before Election Day
New Mexico in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your New Mexico driver's license or state ID card issued by the Motor Vehicle Division of the Tax and Revenue Department, a non-expired student photo ID from a New Mexico school along with a current student fee statement that includes your address, or any document that contains your name and address along with a photo ID.
New Mexico same day registration
- Summary: New Mexico has same day registration. You can register and vote during the early voting period and on Election Day.
In 2021, Same Day Registration will be from 28 days prior to the election through Election Day.
Registering to vote in New Mexico with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for New Mexico elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Bureau of Elections 325 Don Gaspar, Suite 300 Santa Fe, NM 87503
- New Mexico online voter registration
- New Mexico online absentee ballot request
- New Mexico voter status lookup
- New Mexico absentee ballot tracker
- New Mexico provisional ballot tracker
- New Mexico polling place locator