New Jersey voter registration guide
New Jersey voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 21 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Received 21 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 21 days before Election Day
Check your New Jersey voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your New Jersey registration using the New Jersey voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
New Jersey voter registration rules
To register in New Jersey you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be 17 years old to register and 18 years old by Election Day
- be a resident of New Jersey, your county and at your address at least 30 days before the next election
- not be incarcerated for a felony
- not be declared mentally incompetent by a court.
New Jersey online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have a New Jersey driver's license, driver's permit, or state-issued ID card. If you don't have one of these numbers, you will be required to upload a photograph of your signature.
- Visit the New Jersey online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 21 days before Election Day.
New Jersey by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your New Jersey driver’s license number OR the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, write “NONE” on the form.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party to vote in that party's primaries. If you have never voted in a primary before, you can declare your party affilation at the polls on Election Day. If you are not a first time voter, you will need to submit a Political Party Declaration Form at least 50 days before the primary election. You cannot use the voter registration form to declare your political party.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 21 days before Election Day
New Jersey in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your New Jersey driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring one photo ID issued by any state or the federal government, and bring one document that shows your name and current address. Acceptable documents include a recent utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
New Jersey same day registration
New Jersey does not have same day registration.
Registering to vote in New Jersey with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for New Jersey elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
New Jersey Department of Law and Public Safety Division of Elections PO BOX 304 Trenton, NJ 08625‐0304
- New Jersey online voter registration
- New Jersey voter status lookup
- New Jersey absentee ballot tracker
- New Jersey polling place locator