Nebraska voter registration guide
Nebraska voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 18 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 18 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 11 days before Election Day
Check your Nebraska voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Nebraska registration using the Nebraska voter registration lookup site.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Nebraska voter registration rules
To register in Nebraska you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Nebraska
- be 17 years old to register and 18 years old by the General Election
- if convicted of a felony, two years have passed since the sentence was completed (including any parole or probation)
- not have been officially found to be mentally incompetent
- not have been convicted of treason, unless you have had your civil rights stored.
Nebraska online voter registration
You can register to vote online if you have a Nebraska driver license, driver permit, or nondriver photo ID.
- Visit the Nebraska online voter registration site.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 18 days before Election Day .
Nebraska by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Nebraska driver's license number. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, write "NONE" here.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 18 days before Election Day .
Nebraska in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Nebraska driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Nebraska address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Nebraska same day registration
Nebraska does not have same day registration.
Registering to vote in Nebraska with a felony conviction
Voting rights are restored automatically 2 years after the completion of your sentence, including prison, parole, and probation. You should receive a notice letting you know that your rights have been restored; you can then register to vote. Nebraska restoration information
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Nebraska elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Nebraska Secretary of State Suite 2300, State Capitol Bldg. Lincoln, NE 68509‐4608
- Nebraska online voter registration
- Nebraska voter status lookup
- Nebraska absentee ballot tracker
- Nebraska polling place locator