Massachusetts voter registration guide
Massachusetts voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 10 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 10 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 10 days before Election Day
Check your Massachusetts voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Massachusetts registration using the Massachusetts voter registration lookup site.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Massachusetts voter registration rules
To register in Massachusetts you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Massachusetts
- be 18 years old by Election Day (you may pre-register if you are 16)
- not be temporarily or permanently ineligible to vote because of election crimes
- not be under guardianship with respect to voting
- not be currently incarcerated for a felony conviction.
Massachusetts online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have a Massachusetts driver's license, driver's permit, or state-issued ID card.
- Visit the Massachusetts online voter registration site.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 10 days before Election Day .
Massachusetts by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Massachusetts driver’s license number or the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you have neither, write “NONE” in the box.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You may register with a party. Members of political parties may vote only in their own party's primary elections. Voters who choose not to enroll in a party and members of political designations or minor parties may vote in the party primary of their choice.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 10 days before Election Day .
Massachusetts in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Massachusetts driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Massachusetts address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Massachusetts same day registration
Registering to vote in Massachusetts with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Massachusetts elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Secretary of the Commonwealth Elections Division, Room 1705 One Ashburton Place Boston, MA 02108
- Massachusetts online voter registration
- Massachusetts online absentee ballot request
- Massachusetts voter status lookup
- Massachusetts absentee ballot tracker
- Massachusetts polling place locator