Maryland voter registration guide
Maryland voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 21 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 21 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): Election Day
Check your Maryland voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Maryland registration using the Maryland voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Maryland voter registration rules
To register in Maryland you must:
- be a U.S. citizen
- be a Maryland resident
- be 18 years old by the next General Election (you may pre-register if you are 16)
- not be under guardianship for mental disability
- not have been convicted of buying or selling votes
- not have been convicted of a felony, or if you have, have completed serving a court ordered sentence of imprisonment, including any term of parole or probation for the conviction.
Maryland online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have a Maryland driver's license, driver's permit, or state-issued ID card.
- Visit the Maryland online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 21 days before Election Day.
Maryland by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: If you have a current and valid Maryland driver's license or state ID card, please provide that number. If you don't have either of these forms of ID, please provide the last four digits of your social security number.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 21 days before Election Day
Maryland in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Maryland driver's license or Maryland state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring one document that shows your name and current address. Acceptable documents include a recent utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Maryland same day registration
- Summary: Maryland has same day registration. You can register and vote during the early voting period and on Election Day.
- Where to go:
Go to your designated voting location. Click here to find out where to vote.
- What to bring:
Bring your Maryland driver's license or Maryland state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring one document that shows your name and current address. Acceptable documents include a recent utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
- Need help? Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Registering to vote in Maryland with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Maryland elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
State Board of Elections P.O. Box 6486 Annapolis, MD 21401‐0486
- Maryland online voter registration
- Maryland online absentee ballot request
- Maryland voter status lookup
- Maryland absentee ballot tracker
- Maryland provisional ballot tracker
- Maryland polling place locator