Maine voter registration guide
Maine voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): N/A
- Register to vote (by mail): Received 21 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): Election Day
Check your Maine voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Maine registration using the Maine voter registration lookup site.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Maine voter registration rules
To register in Maine you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Maine and the municipality where you want to vote
- be 17 years old to register and at least 18 to vote. If you are 17, you may vote in a primary if you will turn 18 by the General Election.
How to register to vote online in Maine
Maine does not have online voter registration.
How to register to vote by-mail in Maine
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Maine driver's license number. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number. If you don't have either number, write "NONE" in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention (unless otherwise permitted by a political party).
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 21 days before Election Day .
How to register to vote in-person in Maine
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Maine driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Maine address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Same day voter registration in Maine
- Summary: Maine has same day registration. You can register and vote during the early voting period and on Election Day.
- Where to go:
Go to your designated voting location. Click here to find out where to vote.
- What to bring:
Bring your Maine driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring one document that shows your name and current address or your Social Security Number. Acceptable documents include a recent utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
- Need help? Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Registering to vote in Maine with a felony conviction
Voting rights are retained while in prison. You do not lose the right to vote.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Maine elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Elections Division Bureau of Corporations, Elections and Commissions 101 State House Station Augusta, ME 04333‐0101
- Maine online absentee ballot request
- Maine voter status lookup
- Maine absentee ballot tracker
- Maine polling place locator