Louisiana voter registration guide
Louisiana voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 20 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 30 days before Election Day
Check your Louisiana voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Louisiana registration using the Louisiana voter registration lookup site.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Louisiana voter registration rules
To register in Louisiana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Louisiana at least 20 days prior to the election (if registering through the GeauxVote Online Registration System) OR 30 days (if registering by in-person or mail)
- be 17 years old to register (16 years old if registering in person at the Registrar of Voters Office or at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles) and be 18 years old by Election Day
- not currently be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony (if you are under an order but have not been incarcerated within the last five years, you ARE eligible to vote unless your conviction was for election fraud)
- not currently be under a judgment of interdiction for mental incompetence.
Louisiana online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have a Louisiana driver license, driver permit, or nondriver ID card.
- Visit the Louisiana online voter registration site.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 20 days before Election Day .
Louisiana by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Louisiana driver’s license number or Louisiana special identification card number. If you do not have either of these, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you do not have any of these numbers, include a COPY of your ID with this form. Acceptable forms of ID include (a) a copy of a current and valid photo identification; or (b) a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows your name and Louisiana home address.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Louisiana has closed primaries. If you do not choose a party, you will not be able to vote in that party's primary elections.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: This field is optional.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 30 days before Election Day .
Louisiana in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Louisiana driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Louisiana address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Louisiana same day registration
Registering to vote in Louisiana with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Louisiana elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Secretary of State Attention: Elections Division P.O. Box 94125 Baton Rouge, LA 70804‐9125
- Louisiana online voter registration
- Louisiana online absentee ballot request
- Louisiana voter status lookup
- Louisiana absentee ballot tracker
- Louisiana provisional ballot tracker
- Louisiana polling place locator