Kentucky voter registration guide
Kentucky voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 29 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 29 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 29 days before Election Day
Check your Kentucky voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Kentucky registration using the Kentucky voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Kentucky voter registration rules
To register in Kentucky you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Kentucky for at least 28 days before Election Day
- be 18 years old by Election Day (if you are 17, you may vote in a primary if you will turn 18 by the General Election)
- not have been judged mentally incompetent in a court of law
- not claim the right to vote anywhere outside Kentucky.
Kentucky online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have your Social Security Number.
- Visit the Kentucky online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 29 days before Election Day.
Kentucky by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Your full social security number is required. It is used for administrative purposes only and is not released to the public. No person shall be denied the right to register because of failure to include social security number.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 29 days before Election Day
Kentucky in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
Kentucky same day registration
Kentucky does not have same day registration.
Registering to vote in Kentucky with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Kentucky elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
State Board of Elections 140 Walnut Street Frankfort, KY 40601‐3240
- Kentucky online voter registration
- Kentucky online absentee ballot request
- Kentucky voter status lookup
- Kentucky absentee ballot tracker
- Kentucky provisional ballot tracker
- Kentucky polling place locator