Iowa voter registration guide
Iowa voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 10 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 15 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): Election Day
Check your Iowa voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Iowa registration using the Iowa voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Iowa voter registration rules
To register in Iowa you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Iowa
- be 18 years old by Election day (If you are 17, you may vote in a primary if you will turn 18 by the General Election)
- not currently be judged by a court to be “incompetent to vote"
- not claim the right to vote in more than one place.
Iowa online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have an Iowa driver's license, driver's permit, or state-issued ID card.
- Visit the Iowa online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 10 days before Election Day.
Iowa by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Your ID number is your Iowa driver's license number (or Iowa non-driver identification number) if you have one, if not then the last four digits of your social security number.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You may register with a party in advance if you want to take part in that party’s primary election. You may change or declare a party affiliation at the polls on primary election day.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 15 days before Election Day
Iowa in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Iowa driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name and signature, and ONE document that shows your name and current address. Acceptable documents include a recent utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Iowa same day registration
- Summary: Iowa has same day registration. You can register and vote during the early voting period and on Election Day.
- Where to go:
Go to your designated voting location. Click here to find out where to vote.
- What to bring:
Bring your Iowa driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name and signature, and ONE document that shows your name and current address. Acceptable documents include a recent utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
- Need help? Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Registering to vote in Iowa with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Iowa elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Elections Division Office of the Secretary of State Lucas Building‐1st Floor 321 E. 12th Street Des Moines, IA 50319
- Iowa online voter registration
- Iowa voter status lookup
- Iowa absentee ballot tracker
- Iowa polling place locator