Indiana voter registration guide
Indiana voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 29 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 29 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 29 days before Election Day
Check your Indiana voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Indiana registration using the Indiana voter registration lookup site.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Indiana voter registration rules
To register in Indiana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- have resided in the precinct at least 30 days before the next election
- be 18 years old by the next General Election
- not currently be incarcerated for a felony.
Indiana online voter registration
You can register to vote online if you have an Illinois driver license, driver permit, or nondriver ID card.
- Visit the Indiana online voter registration site.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 29 days before Election Day .
Indiana by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Indiana issued driver's license number or the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, enter NONE in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Leave blank
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 29 days before Election Day .
Indiana in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Indiana driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Indiana address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Indiana same day registration
Indiana does not have same day registration.
Registering to vote in Indiana with a felony conviction
Voting rights are restored automatically upon release from prison. You can register to vote. Indiana voter's Bill of Rights
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Indiana elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Election Division Office of the Secretary of State 302 West Washington Street, Room E‐204 Indianapolis, IN 46204‐2743
- Indiana online voter registration
- Indiana online absentee ballot request
- Indiana voter status lookup
- Indiana absentee ballot tracker
- Indiana polling place locator