Illinois voter registration guide
Illinois voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 16 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 28 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): Election Day
Check your Illinois voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Illinois registration using the Illinois voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Illinois voter registration rules
To register in Illinois you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Illinois and of your election precinct for at least 30 days before Election Day
- be 18 years old by Election Day (if you are 17, you may vote in a primary if you will turn 18 by the General Election)
- not be currently incarcerated for a felony
- not claim the right to vote anywhere else.
Illinois online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have an Illinois driver license, driver permit, or nondriver ID card.
- Visit the Illinois online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 16 days before Election Day.
Illinois by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Illinois driver’s license number. If you do not have a driver’s license, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, please write “NONE” in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Party registration or preference is not required for voter registration. However, when you apply for a primary ballot, you must indicate your party preference for that election.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 28 days before Election Day
Illinois in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring one photo ID issued by any state or the Federal Government, and bring one document that shows your name and current address. Acceptable documents include a recent utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, vehicle registration card, Social Security or Medicaid card, insurance card, credit or debit card, or any other government document that shows your name and address.
Illinois same day registration
- Summary: Illinois has same day registration. You can register and vote during the early voting period and on Election Day.
Illinois calls Same Day Registration "grace period registration."
Registering to vote in Illinois with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Illinois elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
State Board of Elections 2329 S. MacArthur Boulevard Springfield, IL 62704
- Illinois online voter registration
- Illinois voter status lookup
- Illinois provisional ballot tracker
- Illinois polling place locator