Idaho voter registration guide
Idaho voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 25 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 25 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): Election Day
Check your Idaho voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Idaho registration using the Idaho voter registration lookup site.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Idaho voter registration rules
To register in Idaho you must:
- be 18 years old by Election Day
- be a citizen of the United States
- have resided in Idaho and in the county for at least 30 days before Election Day
- not be serving a sentence of imprisonment for a felony. Your voting rights are restored once you have completed your sentence, probation, and parole.
Idaho online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have an Idaho driver license, driver permit, or nondriver ID card.
- Visit the Idaho online voter registration site.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 25 days before Election Day .
Idaho by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Idaho driver license number. If you do not have a driver license, enter the last four digits of your social security number.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not need to register with a party to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 25 days before Election Day .
Idaho in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Idaho driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Idaho address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Idaho same day registration
- Summary: Idaho has same day registration. You can register and vote on Election Day.
- Where to go:
Go to your designated voting location. Click here to find out where to vote.
- What to bring:
Bring your non-expired Idaho driver's license or state ID card issued by the Department of Transportationwith you. If you don't have one, bring one photo ID issued by any state or the Federal Government, and bring one document that shows your name and current Idaho address. Acceptable documents include a recent utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address. If you are a student you may use a non-expired student photo ID with a current student fee statement that contains your Idaho address.
- Need help? Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Registering to vote in Idaho with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Idaho elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Secretary of State P.O. Box 83720 State Capitol Bldg. Boise, ID 83720‐0080
- Idaho online voter registration
- Idaho online absentee ballot request
- Idaho voter status lookup
- Idaho absentee ballot tracker
- Idaho polling place locator