Hawaii voter registration guide
Hawaii voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 30 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 10 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): Election Day
Check your Hawaii voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Hawaii registration using the Hawaii voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Hawaii voter registration rules
To register in Hawaii you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of the State of Hawaii
- be 18 years old by Election Day (you may pre-register if you are 16)
- not be incarcerated for a felony conviction
- not be adjudicated by a court as non compos mentis.
Hawaii online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have a Hawaii driver license, driver permit, or nondriver ID card.
- Visit the Hawaii online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 30 days before Election Day.
Hawaii by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Provide your Hawaii driver’s license or State identification number. If you do not have either number, provide the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you do not have any of these numbers, please write NONE on the form.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not need to register with a pollitical party.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 10 days before Election Day
Hawaii in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Hawaii driver's license number or Hawaii state ID number. If you do not have either of these, you may provide the last four digits of your Social Security Number.
Hawaii same day registration
- Summary: Hawaii has same day registration. You can register and vote during the early voting period and on Election Day.
- Where to go:
Go to your designated in-person voting location. Click here to find out where to vote.
- What to bring:
Bring your Hawaii driver's license number or Hawaii state ID number. If you do not have either of these, you may provide the last four digits of your Social Security Number.
- Need help? Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Registering to vote in Hawaii with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Hawaii elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Office of Elections State of Hawaii 802 Lehua Avenue Pearl City, HI 96782
- Hawaii online voter registration
- Hawaii voter status lookup
- Hawaii absentee ballot tracker
- Hawaii polling place locator