Alabama voter registration guide
Alabama voter registration deadlines
- Register to vote (online): 15 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (by mail): Postmarked 15 days before Election Day
- Register to vote (in person): 15 days before Election Day
Check your Alabama voter registration status
- If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Alabama registration using the Alabama voter registration lookup tool.
- If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Alabama voter registration rules
To register to vote in Alabama you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Alabama and your county at the time of registration
- be 18 years old by Election Day
- not currently be declared mentally incompetent through a competency hearing
- swear or affirm to support and defend the Constitution of the US and the State of Alabama and further disavow any belief or affiliation with any group which advocates the overthrow of the governments of the US or the State of Alabama by unlawful means.
Alabama online voter registration
- You can register to vote online if you have an Alabama driver's license, driver's permit, or a state-issued ID card.
- Visit the Alabama online voter registration tool.
- Fill out all the required fields.
- You will be registered to vote as soon as you finish the workflow.
- You should receive your voter registration card in the mail within 2-3 weeks. If not, you might want to follow up with your local election office.
- The deadline to register to vote online is 15 days before Election Day.
Alabama by-mail voter registration
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Provide your Alabama driver’s license number or non-driver ID card number. If you do not have either of these numbers, provide the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have any of these numbers, write "NONE" in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not need to register with a party to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: You are required to fill in this box; however, your application will not be rejected if you fail to do so.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 15 days before Election Day
Alabama in-person voter registration
- Contact your local election office to find where to register to vote in person.
- Bring your Alabama driver's or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring one photo ID issued by any state or federal government, and bring one document that shows your name and current address. Acceptable documents include a recent utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Alabama same day registration
Alabama does not have same day registration.
Registering to vote in Alabama with a felony conviction
If you have been convicted of a felony and would like to register to vote, please visit Restore Your Vote. They will help you determine your eligibility and guide you through the process.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Alabama elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Office of the Secretary of State P.O. Box 5616 Montgomery, AL 36103‐5616
- Alabama online voter registration
- Alabama voter status lookup
- Alabama absentee ballot tracker
- Alabama polling place locator