Wisconsin voter registration guide
Last updated: July 13, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person in Wisconsin.
- You can register to vote online in Wisconsin.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Wisconsin.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
All voters must submit proof of residence with their voter registration.
Wisconsin voter registration deadlines
- In-person: Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 20 days before Election Day
- Online: 20 days before Election Day
Wisconsin voter registration rules
To register in Wisconsin you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Wisconsin for at least 10 days
- be 18 years old
- not have been convicted of treason, felony or bribery, or if you have, your civil rights have been restored
- not be incapable of understanding the objective of the elective process or under guardianship
Register to vote online in Wisconsin
You can register to vote online if you have a Wisconsin driver's license or state ID card that shows your current address. If not, you can still register to vote by mail or in person.
Register to vote in Wisconsin
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Wisconsin driver license or DOT-issued ID card number. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have any of these numbers, write "NONE" in the box.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Not required
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Not required
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 20 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Wisconsin
Double-check your Wisconsin voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Wisconsin registration using the Wisconsin voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Wisconsin?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Wisconsin elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Wisconsin Elections Commission
212 East Washington Avenue, Third Floor
P.O. Box 7984
Madison, WI 53707‐7984