West Virginia voter registration guide
Last updated: July 10, 2020
Check your West Virginia voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your West Virginia registration using the West Virginia voter registration lookup tool.
If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
West Virginia voter registration deadlines
- Online deadline: 21 days before Election Day
- By-mail deadline: Postmarked 21 days before Election Day
- In-person deadline: 21 days before Election Day
West Virginia voter registration rules
To register in West Virginia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- live in West Virginia in the county in which you are registering
- be 18 years old, or to vote in the primary be 17 years old and turning 18 before the general election
- not be under conviction, probation, or parole for a felony, treason, or election bribery
- not have been judged mentally incompetent in a court of competent jurisdiction
Register to vote online in West Virginia
You can register to vote online if you have a West Virginia driver's license or state ID card and a Social Security number. If not, you can still register to vote by mail or in person.
Register to vote by mail in West Virginia
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your WV driver’s license number. If you do not have a driver’s license number, enter the last four numbers of your social security number. If you do not have either of these numbers, write NONE none on the form.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You should register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention. It is up to the party to decide if it will let independents vote in their primarie
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 21 days before Election Day
Register to vote in person in West Virginia
- Contact your local election office to find exactly where to go register to vote in person.
- Bring your West Virginia driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and West Virginia address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote in West Virginia.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for West Virginia elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Secretary of State
Building 1, Suite 157‐K
1900 Kanawha Blvd. East
Charleston, WV 25305‐0770