West Virginia voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in West Virginia.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
West Virginia voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 21 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 21 days before Election Day
- Online: 21 days before Election Day
West Virginia voter registration rules
To register in West Virginia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- live in West Virginia in the county in which you are registering
- be 18 years old, or to vote in the primary be 17 years old and turning 18 before the general election
- not be under conviction, probation, or parole for a felony, treason, or election bribery
- not have been judged mentally incompetent in a court of competent jurisdiction
Register to vote online in West Virginia
You will need a West Virginia ID and a Social Security number to use West Virginia's online voter registration system. If you do not have both of these numbers you can still register to vote by-mail.
Register to vote by-mail in West Virginia
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your WV driver’s license number. If you do not have a driver’s license number, enter the last four numbers of your social security number. If you do not have either of these numbers, write NONE none on the form.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You should register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention. It is up to the party to decide if it will let independents vote in their primarie
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 21 days before Election Day
Double-check your West Virginia voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your West Virginia registration using the West Virginia voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in West Virginia?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for West Virginia elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Secretary of State
Building 1, Suite 157‐K
1900 Kanawha Blvd. East
Charleston, WV 25305‐0770