Virginia voter registration guide
Last updated: August 3, 2020
Check your Virginia voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Virginia registration using the Virginia voter registration lookup tool.
If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Virginia voter registration deadlines
- Online deadline: 21 days before Election Day
- By-mail deadline: Postmarked 21 days before election
- In-person deadline: 21 days before Election Day
Virginia voter registration rules
To register in Virginia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be a resident of Virginia and of the precinct in which you want to vote;
- be 18 years old by the next general election;
- not have been convicted of a felony, or have had your civil rights restored; and
- not currently be declared incapacitated by a court.
Register to vote online in Virginia
You can register to vote online if you have a Virginia driver's license or state ID card and a Social Security Number. If not, you can still register to vote by mail or in person.
Register to vote by mail in Virginia
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Virginia requires you to provide your full social security number when you register to vote. Your social security number will appear on reports produced only for official use by voter registration and election officials and, for jury selection purposes, by courts.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not have to register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 21 days before election
Register to vote in person in Virginia
- Contact your local election office to find exactly where to go register to vote in person.
- Bring your Virginia driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Virginia address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote in Virginia.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Virginia elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Virginia State Board of Elections
1100 Bank Street, 1st floor
Richmond, VA 23219