Virginia voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in Virginia.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
Virginia voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 22 days before Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 22 days before election
- Online: 22 days before Election Day
Virginia voter registration rules
To register in Virginia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be a resident of Virginia and of the precinct in which you want to vote;
- be 18 years old by the next general election;
- not have been convicted of a felony, or have had your civil rights restored; and
- not currently be declared incapacitated by a court.
Register to vote online in Virginia
You will need a Virginia ID and a Social Security number to use Virginia's online voter registration system. If you do not have a Virginia ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote by-mail in Virginia
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Virginia requires you to provide your full social security number when you register to vote. Your social security number will appear on reports produced only for official use by voter registration and election officials and, for jury selection purposes, by courts.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not have to register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 22 days before election
Double-check your Virginia voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Virginia registration using the Virginia voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Virginia?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Virginia elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Virginia State Board of Elections
1100 Bank Street, 1st floor
Richmond, VA 23219