Utah voter registration guide
Last updated: July 17, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person in Utah.
- You can register to vote online in Utah.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Utah.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
Utah voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 11 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Received 11 days before Election Day
- Online: 11 days before Election Day
Utah voter registration rules
To register in Utah you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- have resided in Utah for 30 days immediately before the next election
- be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- not be a convicted felon currently incarcerated for commission of a felony
- not be convicted of treason or crime against the elective franchise, unless restored to civil rights
- not be found to be mentally incompetent by a court of law
- If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you may preregister to vote.
Register to vote online in Utah
You can register to to vote online if you have a Utah driver's license or state ID card that shows your current address. If not, you can still register to vote by mail or in person.
Register to vote in Utah
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your UT driver’s license number or nonoperating ID number. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you do not have any of these numbers, please write “NONE” in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not need to choose a party to register to vote, but you might not be allowed to vote in a party's primary if you are not registered with that party.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 11 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Utah
Double-check your Utah voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Utah registration using the Utah voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Utah?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Utah elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Office of the Lieutenant Governor
P.O. Box 142325
Salt Lake City, UT 84114