Tennessee voter registration guide
Last updated: July 10, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person in Tennessee.
- You can register to vote online in Tennessee.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Tennessee.
Tennessee voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 30 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day
- Online: 30 days before Election Day
Tennessee voter registration rules
To register in Tennessee you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Tennessee
- be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- not have been convicted of a felony, or if convicted, have had your full rights of citizenship restored (or have received a pardon)
- not be adjudicated incompetent by a court of competent jurisdiction (or have been restored to legal capacity
Register to vote online in Tennessee
You can register to vote online if you have a Tennessee driver's license or state ID card. If not, you can register to vote by mail or in person.
Register to vote in Tennessee
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Your full social security number is required in order to register to vote in Tennessee.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not have to register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Optional.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 30 days before Election Day
Double-check your Tennessee voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Tennessee registration using the Tennessee voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Tennessee?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Tennessee elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Coordinator of Elections
Tennessee Tower, Seventh Floor
312 Rosa L. Parks Ave.
Nashville, TN 37243‐1102