South Dakota voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote by-mail in South Dakota.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
South Dakota voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 15 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Received 15 days before Election Day
- Online: N/A
South Dakota voter registration rules
To register in South Dakota you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- reside in South Dakota
- be 18 years old by the next election
- not be currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system
- not have been adjudged mentally incompetent by a court
Register to vote by-mail in South Dakota
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Your SD driver’s license number is requested. If you do not have a valid driver’s license, you must provide the last four digits of your social security number.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 15 days before Election Day
Double-check your South Dakota voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your South Dakota registration using the South Dakota voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in South Dakota?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for South Dakota elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Secretary of State, Elections Division
500 E. Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501‐5070