Rhode Island voter registration guide
Last updated: May 20, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in Rhode Island.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Rhode Island.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
Rhode Island voter registration deadlines
- In-person: Election Day for presidential elections, otherwise 30 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Received 30 days before Election Day
- Online: 30 days before Election Day
Rhode Island voter registration rules
To register in Rhode Island you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Rhode Island for 30 days preceding the next election
- be 18 years old by Election Day
- not be currently incarcerated in a correctional facility due to a felony conviction
- not have been lawfully judged to be mentally incompetent
Register to vote online in Rhode Island
You will need a Rhode Island ID to use Rhode Island's online voter registration system. If you do not have a Rhode Island ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote by-mail in Rhode Island
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Rhode Island driver's license. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, please write "NONE" in the box.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a politcal party if you wish to vote in that party's primary. You do not need to choose a party now, however: you can register with the party on Election Day at your polling place.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 30 days before Election Day
Double-check your Rhode Island voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Rhode Island registration using the Rhode Island voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Rhode Island?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Rhode Island elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Rhode Island State Board of Elections
50 Branch Ave.
Providence, RI 02904‐2790