Pennsylvania voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in Pennsylvania.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Pennsylvania.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
Pennsylvania voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 15 days prior to an election
- By-mail: Postmarked 15 days prior to an election
- Online: 15 days prior to an election
Pennsylvania voter registration rules
To register in Pennsylvania you must:
- be a citizen of the United States at least one month before the next election
- be a resident of Pennsylvania and your election district at least 30 days before Election Day
- be at least 18 years of age on the day of the next election
- not be incarcerated after conviction for a felony (your voting rights are restored immediately after incarceration)
Register to vote online in Pennsylvania
You will need a Pennsylvania ID to use Pennsylvania's online voter registration system. If you do not have a Pennsylvania ID, you can still register to vote by mail
Register to vote by-mail in Pennsylvania
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your PA driver’s license number. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, write "NONE" in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: This information is requested but not required.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 15 days prior to an election
Double-check your Pennsylvania voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Pennsylvania registration using the Pennsylvania voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Pennsylvania?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Pennsylvania elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth
210 North Office Bldg.
Harrisburg, PA 17120‐0029