Nebraska voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in Nebraska.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Nebraska.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
Nebraska voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 11 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 18 days before Election Day
- Online: 18 days before Election Day
Nebraska voter registration rules
To register in Nebraska you must:
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be a resident of Nebraska;
- be at least 18 years of age or will be 18 years of age on or before the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November;
- not have been convicted of a felony, or if convicted, two years have passed since the sentence was completed (including any parole);
- not have been officially found to be mentally incompetent; and
- not have been convicted of treason, unless you have had your civil rights stored.
Register to vote online in Nebraska
You will need a Nebraska ID to use Nebraska's online voter registration system. If you do not have a Nebraska ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote by-mail in Nebraska
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Nebraska driver's license number. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, write "NONE" here.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 18 days before Election Day
Double-check your Nebraska voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Nebraska registration using the Nebraska voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Nebraska?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Nebraska elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Nebraska Secretary of State
Suite 2300, State Capitol Bldg.
Lincoln, NE 68509‐4608