Montana voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Montana.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
Montana voter registration deadlines
- In-person: Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day
- Online: N/A
Montana voter registration rules
To register in Montana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be at least 18 years old on or before Election Day
- be a resident of Montana and of the county in which you want to vote for at least 30 days before the next election
- not be in a penal institution for a felony conviction
- not currently be determined by a court to be of unsound mind
- meet these qualifications by the next Election Day if you do not currently meet them
Register to vote by-mail in Montana
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Montana driver’s license number or the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, please write “NONE” in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Montana does not require party registration to participate in any election.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 30 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Montana
Double-check your Montana voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Montana registration using the Montana voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Montana?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Montana elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Secretary of State’s Office
P.O. Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620‐2801