Montana voter registration guide
Last updated: July 10, 2020
Check your Montana voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Montana registration using the Montana voter registration lookup tool.
If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Montana voter registration deadlines
- Online deadline: N/A
- By-mail deadline: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day
- In-person deadline: Election Day
Montana voter registration rules
To register in Montana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be at least 18 years old on or before Election Day
- be a resident of Montana and of the county in which you want to vote for at least 30 days before the next election
- not be in a penal institution for a felony conviction
- not currently be determined by a court to be of unsound mind
- meet these qualifications by the next Election Day if you do not currently meet them
Register to vote by mail in Montana
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Montana driver’s license number or the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, please write “NONE” in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Montana does not require party registration to participate in any election.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 30 days before Election Day
Register to vote in person in Montana
- Contact your local election office to find exactly where to go register to vote in person.
- Bring your Montana driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Montana address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote in Montana.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Montana elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Secretary of State’s Office
P.O. Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620‐2801