Mississippi voter registration guide
Last updated: July 10, 2020
Check your Mississippi voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Mississippi registration using the Mississippi voter registration lookup tool.
If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Mississippi voter registration deadlines
- Online deadline: N/A
- By-mail deadline: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day
- In-person deadline: 30 days before Election Day
Mississippi voter registration rules
To register in Mississippi you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- have lived in Mississippi and in your county (and city, if applicable) 30 days before Election Day
- be 18 years old by the time of the general election in which you want to vote
- have not been convicted of voter fraud, murder, rape, bribery, theft, arson, obtaining money or goods under false pretense, perjury, forgery, embezzlement, armed robbery, extortion, felony bad check, felony shoplifting, larceny, receiving stolen property, robbery, timber larceny, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, statutory rape, carjacking, or larceny under lease or rental agreement, or have had your rights restored as required by law
- not have been declared mentally incompetent by a court
Register to vote by mail in Mississippi
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Mississippi driver's license. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, write "NONE" here.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Mississippi does not have party registration. You do not need to register with a politcal party to vote in a primary election.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 30 days before Election Day
Register to vote in person in Mississippi
- Contact your local election office to find exactly where to go register to vote in person.
- Bring your Mississippi driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Mississippi address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote in Mississippi.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Mississippi elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Secretary of State
P.O. Box 136
Jackson, MS 39205‐0136