Minnesota voter registration guide
Last updated: July 10, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person in Minnesota.
- You can register to vote online in Minnesota.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Minnesota.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
Minnesota voter registration deadlines
- In-person: Election Day
- By-mail: Received 21 days before Election Day
- Online: 21 days before Election Day
Minnesota voter registration rules
To register in Minnesota you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Minnesota for 20 days before the next election
- maintain residence at the address given on the registration form
- be at least 18 years old on Election Day
- if previously convicted of a felony, have completed or been discharged from your sentence
- not be under a courtordered guardianship in which the right to vote has been revoked
- not be found by a court to be legally incompetent to vote
Register to vote online in Minnesota
If you have a Minnesota driver's license or state ID card -- and an email address -- you can register to vote online. If not, you can still register to vote by mail or in person.
Register to vote in Minnesota
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Minnesota driver’s license or state ID number. If you don't have one, provide the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have any of these numbers, write “NONE” here.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Leave blank
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 21 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Minnesota
Double-check your Minnesota voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Minnesota registration using the Minnesota voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Minnesota?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Minnesota elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Secretary of State
60 Empire Drive, Suite 100
St. Paul, MN 55103‐1855