Michigan voter registration guide
Last updated: July 30, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person in Michigan.
- You can register to vote online in Michigan.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Michigan.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
Michigan voter registration deadlines
- In-person: Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 15 days before Election Day
- Online: 15 days before Election Day
Michigan voter registration rules
To register in Michigan you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be 18 years old by the next election
- be a resident of Michigan and at least a 30 day resident of your city or township by Election Day
- not be confined in a jail after being convicted and sentenced
Warning: Michigan law requires that the same address be used for voter
registration and driver license purposes. Therefore, if the residence address
you provide on this form differs from the address shown on a driver license or
personal identification card issued by the State of Michigan, the Secretary of
State will automatically change your driver license or personal identification
card address to match the residence address entered on this form. If an
address change is made, the Secretary of State will mail you an address update
sticker for your driver license or personal identification card.
Register to vote online in Michigan
Register to vote in Michigan
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Michigan driver's license number or the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have any of these numbers, enter "NONE" in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Not required.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 15 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Michigan
Double-check your Michigan voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Michigan registration using the Michigan voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Michigan?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Michigan elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Michigan Department of State
Bureau of Elections
P.O. Box 20126
Lansing, MI 48901‐0726