Massachusetts voter registration guide
Last updated: July 21, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person in Massachusetts.
- You can register to vote online in Massachusetts.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Massachusetts.
Massachusetts voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 20 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 20 days before Election Day
- Online: 20 days before Election Day
Massachusetts voter registration rules
To register in Massachusetts you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Massachusetts
- be 18 years old on or before the next election
- not have been convicted of corrupt practices in respect to elections
- not be under guardianship with respect to voting
- not be currently incarcerated for a felony conviction
Register to vote online in Massachusetts
You can register to vote online if you have a Massachusetts driver's license or state ID card. If not, you can register to vote by mail or in person.
Register to vote in Massachusetts
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Massachusetts driver’s license number or the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you have neither, write “NONE” in the box.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not need to register with a party in advance to vote in that party's primary. You will, however, need to register as a member of that party on election day to vote in that party's primary.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 20 days before Election Day
Double-check your Massachusetts voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Massachusetts registration using the Massachusetts voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Massachusetts?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Massachusetts elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Secretary of the Commonwealth
Elections Division, Room 1705
One Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108