Maryland voter registration guide
Last updated: July 13, 2020
Check your Maryland voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Maryland registration using the Maryland voter registration lookup tool.
If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Maryland voter registration deadlines
- Online deadline: 21 days before Election Day
- By-mail deadline: Postmarked 21 days before Election Day
- In-person deadline: Election Day
Maryland voter registration rules
To register in Maryland you must:
- be a U.S. citizen
- be a Maryland resident
- be at least 18 years old by the next general election
- not be under guardianship for mental disability
- not have been convicted of buying or selling votes
- not have been convicted of a felony, or if you have, have completed serving a court ordered sentence of imprisonment, including any term of parole or probation for the conviction
Register to vote online in Maryland
You can register to vote online if you have a Maryland driver's license or state ID card. If not, you can register to vote by mail or in person.
Register to vote by mail in Maryland
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: If you have a current and valid Maryland driver's license or state ID card, please provide that number. If you don't have either of these forms of ID, please provide the last four digits of your social security number.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 21 days before Election Day
Register to vote in person in Maryland
- Contact your local election office to find exactly where to go register to vote in person.
- Bring your Maryland driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Maryland address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote in Maryland.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Maryland elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
State Board of Elections
P.O. Box 6486
Annapolis, MD 21401‐0486