Maryland voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in Maryland.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Maryland.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
Maryland voter registration deadlines
- In-person: Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 21 days before Election Day
- Online: 21 days before Election Day
Maryland voter registration rules
To register in Maryland you must:
- be a U.S. citizen
- be a Maryland resident
- be at least 18 years old by the next general election
- not be under guardianship for mental disability
- not have been convicted of buying or selling votes
- not have been convicted of a felony, or if you have, have completed serving a court ordered sentence of imprisonment, including any term of parole or probation for the conviction
Register to vote online in Maryland
You will need a Maryland ID to use Maryland's online voter registration system. If you do not have a Maryland ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote by-mail in Maryland
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: If you have a current and valid Maryland driver's license or state ID card, please provide that number. If you don't have either of these forms of ID, please provide the last four digits of your social security number.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 21 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Maryland
Double-check your Maryland voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Maryland registration using the Maryland voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Maryland?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Maryland elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
State Board of Elections
P.O. Box 6486
Annapolis, MD 21401‐0486