Maine voter registration guide
Last updated: July 10, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person in Maine.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Maine.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
Maine voter registration deadlines
- In-person: Election Day
- By-mail: Received 21 business days before Election Day
- Online: N/A
Maine voter registration rules
To register in Maine you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Maine and the municipality in which you want to vote
- be 17 years old (you must be at least 18 years of age to vote, except that in primary elections you may vote if you are 17 but will be 18 by the general election)
Register to vote in Maine
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Maine driver's license number. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number. If you don't have either number, write "NONE" in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention (unless otherwise permitted by a political party).
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 21 business days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Maine
Double-check your Maine voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Maine registration using the Maine voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Maine?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Maine elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Bureau of Corporations, Elections and Commissions
101 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333‐0101