Louisiana voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in Louisiana.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
Louisiana voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 30 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Received 30 days before Election Day
- Online: 20 days before Election Day
Louisiana voter registration rules
To register in Louisiana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Louisiana (Residence address must be address where you claim homestead exemption, if any, except for a resident in a nursing home or veterans home who may select to use the address of the nursing home or veterans home or the home where he has a homestead exemption. A college student may elect to use his home address or his address while away at school.)
- be at least 17 years old (16 years old if registering in person at the Registrar of Voters Office or at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles), and be 18 years old prior to the next election to vote
- not currently be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony. (If you are under an order but have not been incarcerated within the last five years, you ARE eligible to vote unless your conviction was for election fraud.)
- not currently be under a judgment of interdiction for mental incompetence
Register to vote online in Louisiana
You will need a Louisiana ID to use Louisiana's online voter registration system. If you do not have a Louisiana ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote by-mail in Louisiana
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Louisiana driver’s license number or Louisiana special identification card number. If you do not have either of these, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you do not have any of these numbers, include a COPY of your ID with this form. Acceptable forms of ID include (a) a copy of a current and valid photo identification; or (b) a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows your name and Louisiana home address.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Louisiana has closed primaries. If you do not choose a party, you will not be able to vote in that party's primary elections.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: This field is optional.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 30 days before Election Day
Double-check your Louisiana voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Louisiana registration using the Louisiana voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Louisiana?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Louisiana elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Secretary of State
Attention: Elections Division
P.O. Box 94125
Baton Rouge, LA 70804‐9125