Kentucky voter registration guide
Last updated: July 20, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person in Kentucky.
- You can register to vote online in Kentucky.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Kentucky.
Kentucky voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 29 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Received 29 days before Election Day
- Online: 29 days before Election Day
Kentucky voter registration rules
To register in Kentucky you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Kentucky for at least 28 days before to Election Day
- be 18 years of age on or before the next general election
- not be a convicted felon or if you have been convicted of a felony, your civil rights must have been restored by executive pardon
- not have been judged mentally incompetent in a court of law
- not claim the right to vote anywhere outside Kentucky
Register to vote online in Kentucky
You will need a Social Security number to use Kentucky's online voter registration system. If you do not have a Social Security number, you can still register to vote by mail or in person.
Register to vote in Kentucky
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Your full social security number is required. It is used for administrative purposes only and is not released to the public. No person shall be denied the right to register because of failure to include social security number.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 29 days before Election Day
Double-check your Kentucky voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Kentucky registration using the Kentucky voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Kentucky?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Kentucky elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
State Board of Elections
140 Walnut Street
Frankfort, KY 40601‐3240