Kansas voter registration guide
Last updated: July 14, 2020
Check your Kansas voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Kansas registration using the Kansas voter registration lookup tool.
If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Kansas voter registration deadlines
- Online deadline: 21 days before Election Day
- By-mail deadline: Postmarked 21 days before Election Day
- In-person deadline: 21 days before Election Day
Kansas voter registration rules
To register in Kansas you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Kansas
- be 18 by the next election
- have completed the terms of your sentence if convicted of a felony; a person serving a sentence for a felony conviction is ineligible to vote
- not claim the right to vote in any other location or under any other name
- not be excluded from voting for mental incompetence by a court of competent jurisdiction
Register to vote online in Kansas
You will need a Kansas ID to use Kansas's online voter registration system. If you do not have a Kansas ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote by mail in Kansas
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Kansas driver’s license number or nondriver’s identification card number. If you don't have either of these numbers, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have any of these numbers, write “NONE” in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 21 days before Election Day
Register to vote in person in Kansas
- Contact your local election office to find exactly where to go register to vote in person.
- Bring your Kansas driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Kansas address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote in Kansas.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Kansas elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Secretary of State
1st Floor, Memorial Hall
120 SW 10th Ave.
Topeka, KS 66612‐1594