Iowa voter registration guide
Last updated: July 13, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person in Iowa.
- You can register to vote online in Iowa.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Iowa.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
Iowa voter registration deadlines
- In-person: Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 15 days before Election Day
- Online: 10 days before Election Day
Iowa voter registration rules
To register in Iowa you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Iowa
- be at least 17 years old (you must be 18 to vote)
- not have been convicted of a felony (or have had your rights restored)
- not currently be judged by a court to be “incompetent to vote”
- not claim the right to vote in more than one place
Register to vote online in Iowa
You will need an Iowa ID to use Iowa's online voter registration system. If you do not have an Iowa ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote in Iowa
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Your ID number is your Iowa driver's license number (or Iowa non‐driver identification number) if you have one, if not then the last four digits of your social security number.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You may register with a party in advance if you want to take part in that party’s primary election. You may change or declare a party affiliation at the polls on primary election day.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 15 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Iowa
Double-check your Iowa voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Iowa registration using the Iowa voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Iowa?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Iowa elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Office of the Secretary of State
Lucas Building‐1st Floor
321 E. 12th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319