Indiana voter registration guide
Last updated: July 13, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person in Indiana.
- You can register to vote online in Indiana.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Indiana.
Indiana voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 29 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 29 days before Election Day
- Online: 29 days before Election Day
Indiana voter registration rules
To register in Indiana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States;
- have resided in the precinct at least 30 days before the next election;
- be at least 18 years of age on the day of the next general election;
- not currently be incarcerated for a criminal conviction.
Register to vote online in Indiana
You will need an Indiana ID to use Indiana's online voter registration system. If you do not have an Indiana ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote in Indiana
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Indiana issued driver's license number or the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, enter NONE in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Leave blank
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 29 days before Election Day
Double-check your Indiana voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Indiana registration using the Indiana voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Indiana?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Indiana elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Office of the Secretary of State
302 West Washington Street, Room E‐204
Indianapolis, IN 46204‐2743