Illinois voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in Illinois.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Illinois.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
Illinois voter registration deadlines
- In-person: Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 28 days before Election Day
- Online: 16 days before Election Day
Illinois voter registration rules
To register in Illinois you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Illinois and of your election precinct at least 30 days before the next election
- be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- not be in jail for a felony conviction(but you can vote if you have completed your sentence)
- not claim the right to vote anywhere else
Register to vote online in Illinois
You will need an Illinois ID to use the Illinois online voter registration system. If you do not have an Illinois ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote by-mail in Illinois
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Illinois driver’s license number. If you do not have a driver’s license, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have either number, please write “NONE” in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Party registration or preference is not required for voter registration. However, when you apply for a primary ballot, you must indicate your party preference for that election.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 28 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Illinois
Double-check your Illinois voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Illinois registration using the Illinois voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Illinois?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Illinois elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
State Board of Elections
2329 S. MacArthur Boulevard
Springfield, IL 62704