Hawaii voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in Hawaii.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Hawaii.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
Hawaii voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 3 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Received 29 days before Election Day
- Online: 29 days before Election Day
Hawaii voter registration rules
To register in Hawaii you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of the State of Hawaii
- be at least 16 years old (you must be 18 years old by Election Day in order to vote)
- not be incarcerated for a felony conviction
- not be adjudicated by a court as non compos mentis
Register to vote online in Hawaii
You will need a Hawaii ID and a Social Security number to use Hawaii's online voter registration system. If you do not have a Hawaii ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote by-mail in Hawaii
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Provide your Hawaii driver’s license or State identification number. If you do not have either number, provide the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you do not have any of these numbers, please write NONE on the form.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You do not need to register with a pollitical party.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 29 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Hawaii
Double-check your Hawaii voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Hawaii registration using the Hawaii voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Hawaii?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Hawaii elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Office of Elections
State of Hawaii
802 Lehua Avenue
Pearl City, HI 96782