District of Columbia voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in District of Columbia.
- You can register to vote by-mail in District of Columbia.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
District of Columbia voter registration deadlines
- In-person: Election Day
- By-mail: Received 21 days before Election Day
- Online: 21 days before Election Day
District of Columbia voter registration rules
To register in the District of Columbia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a District of Columbia resident at least 30 days preceding the next election
- be at least 18 years old on or preceding the next election
- not be in prison for a felony conviction
- not have been judged legally incompetent by a court of law
- not claim the right to vote anywhere outside DC
Register to vote online in District of Columbia
You will need a DC driver's license or a mobile device to use the DC online voter registration system. Your registration can include your license number or a digital signature, or you can register to vote by mail.
Register to vote by-mail in District of Columbia
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Federal law now requires that all voter registration applications must include either the applicant’s driver’s license number or the last four digits of the applicant’s social security number in order to be processed.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 21 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in District of Columbia
Double-check your District of Columbia voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your District of Columbia registration using the District of Columbia voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in District of Columbia?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for District of Columbia elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
District of Columbia Board of Elections & Ethics
441 4th Street, NW, Suite 250
Washington, DC 20001‐2745